CE Event: Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
Northern Virginia Clinical Psychologists Presents a 3-CEU Program on Friday, March 2, 2018
When Words Are Not Enough: Using Sensorimotor Psychotherapy™ and Other Body-based Techniques in Trauma Treatment
Presenter: Jan Beauregard, PhD, CSAC, CSAT-S
Clinicians often find clinical progress stymied by the persistent affect regulation difficulties experienced by clients who have a history of complex trauma. Experiential activities which support our current understanding of the neurobiology of trauma united with the emergent field of body-based therapies will be introduced for more integrative healing. Through lecture and experiential exercises, this workshop will teach participants how to disrupt maladaptive behavioral patterns by using techniques from Sensorimotor Psychotherapy™, mindfulness and trauma sensitive yoga. Clinicians will be able to model and teach clients mind/body techniques and practices to help them break the habitual, reactive, and dissociative responses they often rely on for managing intense emotions. Even the most dysregulated client will be able to incorporate some of these new patterns and increase their “window of tolerance” for modulating unpleasant affect.
* No experience in yoga is necessary to participate in these activities. Yoga mats are not required as all movements will be in standing or sitting postures. Please wear clothing that allows you to be comfortable for the experiential part of this program.
Learning Objectives: Participants will learn to:
- install somatic anchors and resources in trauma clients to increase their regulatory capacities.
- conduct simple Sensorimotor™ experiments to assist clients in identification of embodied resource ego states in order to modulate unpleasant affect.
- utilize embedded relational mindfulness ™ to help clients alter their relationship to self and enhance emotional resilience.
- be able to guide clients in developing greater body awareness and enhance regulatory capacities through “trauma sensitive” yoga techniques. *
Speaker: Jan Beauregard, Ph.D., CSAC, CSAT-S is the clinical director of the Integrative Psychotherapy Institute in Fairfax, VA which specializes in outpatient treatment for complex trauma, sexual compulsivity and chemical dependency. She maintains a private practice serving adolescents, adults and couples. She is an EMDR Certified Consultant, a Certified Imago Therapist, a LifeForce™ Yoga Treatment Practitioner and Certified in Sensorimotor Psychotherapy™. Dr. Beauregard is a national workshop presenter and received the designation of ISSTD Fellow in 2016. In 2015, she was the recipient of the Caron Foundation DC Metro Addiction Therapist of the Year Award and in 2009 was recognized by her peers in the Washingtonian Magazine as a “top therapist” in PTSD and addiction.
Please complete the form below. After completing the form, please pay by selecting the proper Paypal button below.